Friday, February 13, 2009

The Whipping

Did you grow up knowing what it feels like to get beat by your parents? To get a smack in the face for a slipped curse or just doing something dumb, well the poem " The Whipping" will let you experience that feeling. This poem is very good. I liked it for the following three reasons.
The first thing that I liked about the poem " The Whipping" by Robert Hayden had to be that I liked the descriptions it used to talk about the poem like when it says " rainy weather, against a tree, and a stick breaking in the women’s hands. " They are all great ways to describe the setting.
The second thing that I liked while reading the poem, it had to be the vocabulary. The vocabulary in the " The Whipping" could not of been better because of the similes that used like " His tears are like rainy weather." What I mean by this is that when you use similes, it really helps the reader picture what you are reading.
The last thing that I liked about the poem was that I could connect it to my personal life. When I got hit growing up, I did not like to get hit just like the boy from " The Whipping." When the boy got hit, a quote appeared that said " My head gripped in bony vised of knees, the writhing struggle to wrench free, the blows, the fears worse than blows that hateful." I could really connect this poem to my personal life because I knew what the boy experienced.
When I closed the book, I walked away with the knowledge that others got beat too. One of the quotes from the poem said
"My head gripped in bony vise of knees, the writhing struggle to wrench free, the blows, the fear worse then blows that hateful." That quote really stuck with me. The simile that the author used amazed me, and the poem had a remarkable connection with my personal life. So when you read this poem, I want you to walk away with the same feeling that I had

No comments: